The Big Lemon is an award-winning bus and coach operator based in Brighton. We operate two local public bus services using vehicles which we run on biodiesel from recycled cooking oil. Our current fleet is as follows, although this is subject to change:
- Two Volvo B10M 49/53 seat coaches
- Two Dennis Mini Pointer Darts, 29 seats
- Three Mercedes Midibuses, 25-29 seats
- One VW LT46 minibus 16 seats
This position is a full-time post of 37.5 hours per week working principally between the hours of 0730-1530 Monday to Friday although some flexibility will be required to meet the operational needs of the company.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the post holder shall be responsible for the maintenance of The Big Lemon’s fleet of vehicles. The post has no line management responsibilities initially but this may change as the workshop expands. The post holder will need to work unsupervised and be able to meet operational deadlines. The post holder will need to be flexible, quick-thinking and able to adapt to fast-changing operational circumstances whilst maintaining the highest quality of work. Immediate start.
• £12 - £15 per hour depending on level of experience/whether you have your own tools.
• 28 days paid holiday per annum.
• The company will also be offering a workplace pension in the near future in accordance with current legislation.
- As a minimum 1 years apprenticeship experience and hold either a City and Guilds or NVQ level 2 or 3 accreditation. Exceptions can be time served experienced engineers with verifiable references.
- A full manual PCV licence attained not less than two years ago
- Good communication skills
- The ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines while maintaining a high standard of work and a friendly disposition
- The ability to work well in a team environment and work with management and drivers to provide the highest levels of service to our customers
- To be available out of hours for emergencies
Non-essential but desirable
- Own tools
- To be familiar with Microsoft Office programs and web browsers.
- Driver CPC certificate
Responsibilities & Tasks
1. Presentation for MOT & other statutory testing: to prepare and present all vehicles for annual MOT tests and any other statutory tests as required.
2. Preventative maintenance : to carry out routine inspections on all vehicles according to stipulated inspection frequencies and carry out fault diagnostics and repairs as necessary
3. Running repairs: to carry out repairs to vehicles as and when required to ensure roadworthiness of the fleet at all times and enable vehicles to be off the road for the absolute minimum amount of time.
4. Stocks & Spares: to maintain stocks of workshop consumables as required and order spare parts as necessary in accordance with company policies and procedures.
5. Breakdowns: to operate a rapid response service to all fleet vehicles in the event of a breakdown and arrange replacement and recovery of defective vehicles as required.
6. Driving: to be available for bus driving at short notice at any time within your hours of work in the event of sickness or absence of other members of staff.
7. Records: to keep full records in accordance with the company’s policies, procedures and statutory obligations and ensure these are available for inspection by company managers or VOSA inspectors at any time
8. Workshop: to keep the workshop clean and tidy and maintain it as a safe working environment
9. Health & Safety: to maintain awareness of relevant health & safety legislation, undertake risk assessment as necessary and ensure compliance with all relevant policies, procedures and legislation.
10. Training: to attend all relevant mandatory training including external courses required for the job role
11. To undertake all other reasonable tasks as directed by company managers.
There will be on-going training and personal development opportunities for the right candidate.
Applying for the role:
If you are interested in this position please email your CV with a covering letter for the attention of Neil Morgan, Director of Operations, to email@example.com.
Please outline clearly how closely you meet each aspect of the person specification, and identify relevant experience in all aspects of the job description.
If you’d like to discuss this role further please call 01273 681681 and ask for Neil Morganor or Tom Druitt.
Public Meetings in Woodingdean and Ovingdean
Please come to one of our public meetings to look at how we can improve service 52 and what other opportuinities there might be to improve public transport in Woodingdean and Ovingdean. We have had a number of meetings already and they have helped us respond to the needs of the community. As a result of working in partnership with the commmunity we have been able to revise the service to greater satisfy people's needs, extend the route back into Brighton and get agreement from other bus operators to accept each other's tickets.
Founder of The Big Lemon, Tom Druitt, said "We've really enjoyed running the 52 bus for the people of Ovingdean and Woodingdean and it has been a real pleasure to meet with them on a number of occasions to get feedback on the service and share ideas for how it can be improved. I'm looking forward to meeting residents again to see what we can do to make services better in those villages".
Woodingdean: Downs Hotel, Monday 16 February 2015, 6.30pm
Ovingdean: St Wulfran's Church, Tuesday 17 February 2015, 6.30pm
Meetings will most likely last about an hour. All welcome!
Following routine research and training at a classified location in the Sussex Downs, military officers have uncovered an unrecognised nerve agent that seems so far unresponsive to know antidotes. What happens following exposure is highly disturbing and cannot be revealed for security reasons. Our unit is a specialist division researching the ongoing and future development of chemicals designed to combat lethal nerve agents - we urgently need your help in order to prevent serious OUTBREAK.
The Big Lemon will be on hand to transport the brave volunteers to the special area of operations in an effort to combat the deadly nerve agent. Do you have what it takes to join the battle? Click here to join up!
The Big Lemon CIC is a Community Interest Company registered in England and Wales no. 6045786.
Registered Office: Protran House, Boundary Road, Brighton BN2 5TJ.